One of the easiest and least expensive ways to upgrade your 5.7 Hemi engine is by removing the factory intake and installing an aftermarket cold air intake. These cold air intake systems can make your vehicle more powerful, increase its aggressive sound, and generally make it more fun to drive. Because there are so many intake systems to choose from, we want to help you to make the your decision about which may be the best cold air intake system to install on your 5.7 Hemi Ram truck.
Best Cold Air Intake for 5.7 Hemi Ram – Top Picks:
|K&N 77-1578KP||K&N 63-1561||aFe Power Momentum |
|Flowmaster 615111||AF Dynamic |
|OEM Part Number||77-1578KP||63-1561||54-72102||615111||0915-DR-HS||9090|
|Torque Increase||34.6 ft. lbs. of torque||17.54 ft. lbs. of torque||19 ft. lbs. of torque||No data||6 To 8 ft. lbs. of torque||No data|
|Horsepower increase||15.1 HP||15.66 HP||14 HP||No data||5 To 10 HP||No data|
|Airflow increase||up to 50%||up to 50%||up to 23%||No data||Up To 95%||up to 50%|
|Filter Type||Washable and reusable||Washable and reusable||Oiled, washable||Oiled||Washable and Reusable||Washable, reusable|
|Vehicle applications year||2019-2020||2009-2019||2009-2018||2009-2018||2009-2018||2019|
|Price||Find on Amazon||Find on Amazon||Find on Amazon||Find on Amazon||Find on Amazon||Find on Amazon|
Cold Air Intake Benefits
1. Increased Performance – The addition of a cold air intake system can add anywhere from 5-20HP to your truck. This will be most notable at lower RPM’s and speeds. Cooler air contains higher levels of oxygen, which allows your engine to produce more power. Your truck will reach your desired speed at a faster rate.
Best Intake for Increased Performance: Tie – K&N Cold Air Intake Kit 77-1578KP and 63-1561
2. Increase In Airflow – This is the reason you purchased and installed your cold air intake. Bringing colder, more oxygen dense air, results in a better air/fuel mixture, which is where increased throttle response and engine sound originate from.
Best Intake for Increase In Airflow: Spectre Performance SPE-9090 Air Intake
3. Improved Fuel Efficiency – Stock air intakes are designed to be quiet at the expense of fuel efficiency. Because the air entering the combustion chamber contains more oxygen, the engine will compensate by burning less fuel, increasing miles per gallon.
Best Intake for Improved Fuel Efficiency: – K&N Cold Air Intake Kit 77-1578KP
4. A More Aggressive Sound – This increased engine roar does nothing for engine performance but it has a lot to do with driving enjoyment. The sound of that big Hemi as you accelerate off the line counts causes a lot of wide smiles and turned heads.
Best Intake for a More Aggressive Sound: AF Dynamic 5824071689 Cold Air Intake
K&N Cold Air Intake 77-1578KP
The K&N 77 Series is a high-flow, polished aluminum cold air intake that will reduce airflow restriction caused by the factory intake. Having been dyno-tested to provide a 50% airflow improvement, K&N guarantees an increase of horsepower, which will result in better acceleration, throttle response, and towing ability.
All K&N cold air intakes come with their 10 Year/Million Mile Limited warranty. The 77 Series installs in 60-90 minutes with just basic hand tools and requires no filter cleaning for up to 100,000 miles.
The K&N 77-1578KP comes with a polished aluminum intake tube and an oversized cone shaped filter. The filter is encase in a heat shield to prevent warmer engine compartment air from entering the system.
- Dyno-tested to improve airflow by 50%
- Made in America
- Washable and reusable filter
- 10 Year/Million Mile Warranty
- Not CARB compliant
- NPT fitting subject to cross threading – extra care should be taken during install
K&N Cold Air Intake 63-1561
The K&N 63-1561 will give your Hemi a smoother, more powerful performance. Dyno-tested to increase airflow by 50% when compared to the factory system, this CAI will offer you better towing, improved throttle response, and an upgraded engine sound, not so much a growl, but a smooth rumble.
This intake kit can be bolted on in under an hour and requires no cleaning for up to 100,000 miles. An increase in horsepower by up to 15HP is to be expected.
- Extremely large, chrome-capped filter
- Improves towing capability
- Increased throttle response
- 10-Year/Million Mile warranty
- Consumer complaints about missing parts
- May void the manufacturer’s warranty
- Some parts are low-quality plastic
aFe Power Momentum GT 54-72102
The aFe Momentum increases factory airflow by up to 23%. It has a one-piece sealed with an auxiliary air scoop and a CAD designed, roto-molded intake tube. The air box has a clear sight window so that no disassembly is required to inspect the filter. The housing is constructed from black, cross-linked polyethylene (XPLE) material. You can choose between a Pro 5R – 5 layer oiled cotton gauze filter or a Pro DRY S – 3 layer dry cotton gauze filter.
The system claims an increase of 14 HP and 19 ft/lbs of torque. It has a large 9”, 5-layer, oiled, cotton gauze filter to maximize airflow. All clamps are stainless steel. Engine sound is only slightly improved, so it doesn’t deliver that aggressive sound that many people are searching for. The Power Momentum GT comes with aFe’s 1-Year warranty.
- 50 State Legal – CARB # D-550-27
- Stainless steel hardware
- Easy installation – no cutting or drilling
- Purchasers claim very little HP improvement
- May cause a drop in fuel economy
- Unimpressive sound gain
Flowmaster 615111 Delta Force Performance Air Intake
The Flowmaster brand is famous for making high-quality performance part for cars and trucks and this cold air intake is no exception. The Flowmaster performance air intake comes with an 8-layer, lifetime, cotton gauze filter that is washable and reusable.
The intake tube is constructed of cross-linked polyethylene (XPLE). A polyethylene intake tube helps dissipate heat quicker than aluminum intake tubes, resulting in cooler air entering your engine’s combustion chamber. There is no cutting or drilling required, which makes installation easy. The intake is compatible with the factory computer system and factory mounting locations making installation a breeze.
- XLPE intake tube
- Washable lifetime 8-layer cotton gauze filter
- Heat-resistant powder-coated heat shield
- Silicon couplers & stainless steel hardware
- Instructions not clear
- Complaints about MAF sensor fit
- Doesn’t seal well on some hoods
- Not CARB compliant
AF Dynamic 5824071689 Cold Air Intake
The AF Dynamic intake is manufactured by R&L Racing and is known for its quality construction. It can be installed in as little as 30 minutes. The air box has a reflective insulation lining to help resist heat soak and keep the air flowing into through it, and into the combustion chamber as cool as possible.
With over 95% filtration efficiency over the manufacturer’s paper filters, it can provide an increase of 5-10 HP and a 6-8% improvement in torque. Along with those increases, you can expect an improvement in fuel mileage. If you want your Hemi to have the roar of the beast that it is, this could be your answer. Click here for our more in-depth AF Dynamic Cold Air Intake review.
- Durable stainless steel parts
- 95% filtration efficient
- Deep, satisfying engine rumble
- May throw engine codes
- Air box bracket quality issues
- Installation difficulties reported by purchasers
Spectre Performance SPE-9090 Air Intake Kit
The Spectre Performance cold air intake is designed to make your intake system run cooler and increase your Hemi’s performance. It has been dyno-tested to provide 50% more airflow that the factory intake system.
It comes with a polished aluminum intake tube, a powder-coated heat shield to restrict warmer engine compartment air from entering the system, and a low restriction, synthetic media filter covered by steel mesh for longer life.
Because it provides increased throttle response, your truck will have better towing and up-hill performance. Installation is easy, the intake includes all of the necessary hardware and boots, but the metal heat shield box does require assembly.
- Increased horsepower and torque
- Polished aluminum intake tube
- No cleaning required for up to 100,000 miles
- Backed by a Lifetime Warranty
- Does not void the vehicle warranty
- Heat shield assembly required
- Poor quality instructions
By increasing flow rates and engine efficiency, cold air intakes are a great and economical aftermarket option for your 5.7L Hemi Ram. The benefits for your truck are substantial; improved performance, a smoother running engine, increased fuel economy, and an aggressive sound. You will see, feel, and hear the improvements during your first drive down the street. There is no downside to replacing the factory air intake with an aftermarket cold air intake unless you don’t like saving money on things like fuel and replacement air filters.